Thank you to Studio 512 for having us on the show to make a Mother’s Day treat!
1 cup organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1 large egg
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
4 cups fresh berries (we used a combination of blueberries, blackberries and chopped strawberries)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. Place 1 cup sugar, all purpose and whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt in a food processor, fitted with a steel blade. Pulse until mixed. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add egg and pulse until combined.
3. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan. (Dough will be a bit crumbly.)
4. In a bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch lemon zest and juice. Gently mix in the berries.
5. Sprinkle the berry mixture evenly over the crust.
6. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown.
** Cool completely before cutting into squares.
For an extra treat, serve with yogurt or ice cream!